Three Boys Turn Their Lives to God — Step 3
STEP 3: We made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God.
Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God -this is your spiritual act of worship. Romans 12:1
In Daniel Chapter 3, King Nebuchadnezzar made a ninety foot tall gold statue of himself and ordered that all people bow down to worship it. Those that disobeyed this command would be thrown in to a fiery furnace. This was a problem for Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego; three young Hebrew men brought into captivity and forced to live in Babylon. They believed in the one true God—our God whose commandants tell us to put no false gods before him.
When Nebuchadnezzar learned these young men would not serve his gods and worship this statue, he flew into a rage and ordered that Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego be brought before him. He offered them one last chance, but was very clear, if they refused, they would be immediately thrown into the fiery furnace.
Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to him, “King Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to deliver us from it, and he will deliver us from Your Majesty’s hand. But even if he does not, we want you to know, Your Majesty, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up.” Daniel 3:16-18 (NIV)
What a bold third step! Regardless of the outcome, these three boys put their faith and trust in God. They knew one of three things could happen:
- God could save them from the fire. God could change Nebuchadnezzar’s heart and remove the threat that they would be placed in harm’s way.
- God could bring them through the fire. Even if placed in the fiery furnace, God could deliver them safely.
- God could bring a blessing from the fire. Even if they didn’t survive, they knew that God would honor their choice to stand with Him.
In this case, God brought them through the fire and delivered them safely. This is so much like us as we commit ourselves to God’s will. There is peace in knowing it’s in his hands and whatever choice he makes for us, there will be protection and blessings. Our addictions and compulsive behaviors take the focus from God and create false idols in our lives. Step 3 puts our focus back on God who can deliver us.
Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego Key Verse for Step 3
Then Nebuchadnezzar said, “Praise to the God of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego! He sent his angel to rescue his servants who trusted in him…There is no other god who can rescue like this!” Daniel 3:28-29 NLT
Examine your heart
- Everyone else including other Hebrews in captivity were willing to bow down, yet 3 boys stood alone. Are there struggles in your life like this where you feel alone?
- God doesn’t always deliver us from harm, but he promises to be there. Is there something you are having a hard time turning over?
- Their faith changed Nebuchadnezzar’s heart. Is your faith having an impact on others?
Learn More—This story is found in Daniel chapter 3. The book of Daniel can be found on page 1078 of the second edition of The Life Recovery Bible.